The Foreign language (English) Competition is held for students of 10–11 grades remotely, lasts 80 minutes, and includes 4 tasks divided into "Language and Culture" & "Reading and Writing" sections. To prepare for the Competition, it is recommended to study both school material and material that is not included in the school English course program. Be sure that you fully understand the task descriptions. No dictionaries or other reference materials are allowed during the Competition.
The Competition assignment has 4 types of tasks:
- error correction task (grammatical, lexical, spelling, social and cultural).
- free-type task requiring a brief response.
- task requiring to determine the main idea of the provided text by selecting it from the presented options.
- task requiring to write an essay based on the provided text fragment, requiring critical reading and analytical thinking skills, as well as a creative approach.
The task complexity level is determined by the complexity of language material and assessed skills, as well as the task type, and correlates with the foreign language proficiency level defined in the documents of the Council of Europe (levels B2–C1).
Before the Competitions:
1. Sign in to your Personal Account and check date and time of participation (Moscow time) in the Competitions you have chosen (Date and Time of Participation in the menu).
2. To participate, you will need a PC or a laptop connected to the Internet and meeting the minimum technical requirements, and also a smartphone with a front camera. Minimum requirements and links for system and equipment testing are in the Instruction for Participants.
3. If you meet any problems during testing, please send a message to WhatsApp or Telegram (+7 909 628 44 25) with a screenshot and description of the error.
During the Competitions:
4. Make sure your laptop and smartphone are fully charged; they better are connected to the charger beforehand.
5. On chosen date and time (pt. 1) go to https://go.startexam.com/hsetest and sign in to the Testing Center with the email that you used for registration to HSE GSC 2022.
6. For authorization, take a photo of your face and upload your passport or ID copy (it must contain your photo and personal data)
7. Join the Competition and complete it.
Attention! Participants who are late to the beginning of the online Competition in the proctoring system (according to Schedule), but no more than 20 minutes, are still able to participate; Competition duration is not changing in this case.