The Competition in History requires the knowledge of the historical and cultural development of countries and regions during certain periods of time. The Competition 2022 includes the following new topics:
Ancient Sparta — from the emergence of the most ancient Peloponnese settlements till the Romanian conquest of the territory;
XI-XIII c. era — Medieval Europe, Rus and the East;
Napoleon Bonaparte's era and all the historical events of France and other countries related to this person and his political activity;
1960s having a wide range of events and processes — from student unrest in Western Europe to the Africa decolonization process, from N. Khrushchev's resignation to space programs.
The Competition assignment for the 10th and 11th grades consists of four parts.
Parts 1–3 — analyze the historical source text and answer questions;
Part 4 — write an essay on one of the topics.
To be able to complete all the Competition tasks, the participant shall know the materials provided in the educational literature, as well as read the historical sources of the time in question, general fiction, listen to the lectures by leading historians.
Undergraduate Programmes Accepting Applications
Online test (to be completed within 120 minutes).
How to Participate in HSE GSC 2021 (online competitions with proctoring)
Before the Competitions:
1. Sign in to your Personal Account and check date and time of participation (Moscow time) in the Competitions you have chosen (Date and Time of Participation in the menu). All Competitions are online.
2. To participate, you will need a PC or a laptop connected to the Internet and meeting the minimum technical requirements, and also a smartphone with a front camera:
Web browser: Chrome 72, Opera 59, Firefox 66, Edge 79
Operating System: Windows 7, macOS 10.12 "Sierra", Linux
Supported mobile version: Android 4.4+ Chrome, iOS 12+ Safari
Webcam: 640x480, 15 fps
Microphone (external or built-in)
Speakers: Optionally (for communication with proctor)
Web (Internet): 256 Kbit/s
3. Requirement meeting test for your computer and smartphone: https://iao.proctoring.online/api/check (close the window after the test is complete)
4. Web camera test (https://webcamtests.com/)
5. Microphone test (https://webcammictest.com/check-mic.html)
6. WebRTC test (https://test.webrtc.org/)
7. Internet connection test (https://yandex.ru/internet/)
8. If you meet any problems during testing, please send a screenshot of the error to email@example.com and describe it.
During the Competitions:
9. Make sure your laptop and smartphone are fully charged; they better are connected to the charger beforehand.
10. On chosen date and time (pt. 1) go to https://go.startexam.com/hsetest and sign in to the Testing Center with the email that you used for registration to HSE GSC 2021.
11. For authorization, take a photo of your face and upload your passport or ID copy (it must contain your photo and personal data)
12. Join the Competition and complete it.
Attention! Participants who are late to the beginning of the online Competition in the proctoring system (according to Schedule), but no more than 20 minutes, are still able to participate; Competition duration is not changing in this case.
Detailed Instruction (Russian)
Detailed Instruction (English)
Video Instruction (Russian)
Video Instruction (English)