The Competition in Philosophy can be entered by high school students who can provide an argued philosophical reasoning that can solve logical tasks, as well as partly acquainted with classical or modern philosophical texts.
The Competition tasks include mental experiments and moral dilemmas, which should be used by the participants to submit brief but convincing and coherent independent arguments in a micro-essay format (building on the philosophical concepts known to them). Also, an important part of the Competition are tasks requiring the ability to obtain logical conclusions.
The Philosophy tasks subject are focused on the problems of the theory of knowledge, ethics and logic, which can be interesting to high school students. "Brain in a vat", "Trolley problem", "Knights and knaves" — if you are a high school student and are familiar with these popular scenarios or similar ones, then the Competition is definitely for you.
Undergraduate Programmes Accepting Applications
Online test (to be completed within 120 minutes).
How to Participate in HSE GSC 2021 (online competitions with proctoring)
Before the Competitions:
1. Sign in to your Personal Account and check date and time of participation (Moscow time) in the Competitions you have chosen (Date and Time of Participation in the menu). All Competitions are online.
2. To participate, you will need a PC or a laptop connected to the Internet and meeting the minimum technical requirements, and also a smartphone with a front camera:
Web browser: Chrome 72, Opera 59, Firefox 66, Edge 79
Operating System: Windows 7, macOS 10.12 "Sierra", Linux
Supported mobile version: Android 4.4+ Chrome, iOS 12+ Safari
Webcam: 640x480, 15 fps
Microphone (external or built-in)
Speakers: Optionally (for communication with proctor)
Web (Internet): 256 Kbit/s
3. Requirement meeting test for your computer and smartphone: https://iao.proctoring.online/api/check (close the window after the test is complete)
4. Web camera test (https://webcamtests.com/)
5. Microphone test (https://webcammictest.com/check-mic.html)
6. WebRTC test (https://test.webrtc.org/)
7. Internet connection test (https://yandex.ru/internet/)
8. If you meet any problems during testing, please send a screenshot of the error to email@example.com and describe it.
During the Competitions:
9. Make sure your laptop and smartphone are fully charged; they better are connected to the charger beforehand.
10. On chosen date and time (pt. 1) go to https://go.startexam.com/hsetest and sign in to the Testing Center with the email that you used for registration to HSE GSC 2021.
11. For authorization, take a photo of your face and upload your passport or ID copy (it must contain your photo and personal data)
12. Join the Competition and complete it.
Attention! Participants who are late to the beginning of the online Competition in the proctoring system (according to Schedule), but no more than 20 minutes, are still able to participate; Competition duration is not changing in this case.
Detailed Instruction (Russian)
Detailed Instruction (English)
Video Instruction (Russian)
Video Instruction (English)