The Competition in Modern Politics contains multiple tasks, which require the participants to demonstrate both the basic knowledge of school courses on social studies, universal history and law, and additional, more advanced knowledge.
The Competition lasts 120 minutes and consists of 5 tasks, which can grant a maximum of 100 points.
Task 1: participants are offered a simulated political situation — dialogue, dispute or discussion between several people expressing different opinions on the discussed issue. Participants need to find conceptual and terminological inaccuracies in the replicas of the opponents, as well as to respond to a number of related questions, allowing more fully and accurately reveal the discussed subject (25 points max).
Task 2: participants are given a sequence of terms. Except for a certain one, all other terms are united by common logic. The participants should pinpoint a term that does not fit into a row and explain why the selected concept is irrelevant (10 points max).
Task 3: participants are given 4 rows of elements (events, names, dates, political slogans, ideologies, etc.). The task is to compare the elements of all 4 rows and find the correspondence between the elements in each row to create a coherent whole. For example, the following rows are given: row 1 (dates), row 2 (names), row 3 (events), row 4 (slogans). These rows contain the following elements: (1) 1789, (2) M. Robespierre, (3) Great French Revolution, (4) "Freedom, Equality, Fraternity". These four elements describe one event. So, they are all are related to a single sequence (20 points max).
Task 4: participants are offered a graphic image (drawing, caricature, symbol, etc.), which contains political meanings. This task requires answering the questions related to the image content: (1) What political category/concept/phenomenon is reflected on this image? (2) What are the main characteristics of this category, concept/phenomena? (25 points max).
Task 5: participants are proposed to lead a discussion with a famous political figure on behalf of a certain political thinker/leader (chosen from the provided list). The discussion is held by posing short messages ("political Twitter"). The participant shall respond to 1–2 proposed messages (initially provided in the task) with 1–4 of their own messages that reproduce ideas, terminology and stylistics of the chosen thinker/leader. 560 cells are provided to write the answer in. Each cell corresponds to one character, the maximum of 560 cells and symbols should not be exceeded. Spaces and hashtags are considered as symbols (20 points max).
На какие образовательные программы бакалавриата можно поступить
Online test (to be completed within 120 minutes).
How to Participate in HSE GSC 2021 (online competitions with proctoring)
Before the Competitions:
1. Sign in to your Personal Account and check date and time of participation (Moscow time) in the Competitions you have chosen (Date and Time of Participation in the menu). All Competitions are online.
2. To participate, you will need a PC or a laptop connected to the Internet and meeting the minimum technical requirements, and also a smartphone with a front camera:
Web browser: Chrome 72, Opera 59, Firefox 66, Edge 79
Operating System: Windows 7, macOS 10.12 "Sierra", Linux
Supported mobile version: Android 4.4+ Chrome, iOS 12+ Safari
Webcam: 640x480, 15 fps
Microphone (external or built-in)
Speakers: Optionally (for communication with proctor)
Web (Internet): 256 Kbit/s
3. Requirement meeting test for your computer and smartphone: https://iao.proctoring.online/api/check (close the window after the test is complete)
4. Web camera test (https://webcamtests.com/)
5. Microphone test (https://webcammictest.com/check-mic.html)
6. WebRTC test (https://test.webrtc.org/)
7. Internet connection test (https://yandex.ru/internet/)
8. If you meet any problems during testing, please send a screenshot of the error to firstname.lastname@example.org and describe it.
During the Competitions:
9. Make sure your laptop and smartphone are fully charged; they better are connected to the charger beforehand.
10. On chosen date and time (pt. 1) go to https://go.startexam.com/hsetest and sign in to the Testing Center with the email that you used for registration to HSE GSC 2021.
11. For authorization, take a photo of your face and upload your passport or ID copy (it must contain your photo and personal data)
12. Join the Competition and complete it.
Attention! Participants who are late to the beginning of the online Competition in the proctoring system (according to Schedule), but no more than 20 minutes, are still able to participate; Competition duration is not changing in this case.
Detailed Instruction (Russian)
Detailed Instruction (English)
Video Instruction (Russian)
Video Instruction (English)