Description of tasks
Competition in Mathematics is held both in in-person format (offline) and remote format (online). Each participant may choose just one of the formats: writing either on a special venue or remotely. Either way a participant has 180 minutes for writing the test.
A task of GSC-2022 in Mathematics consists of 10 problems divided into three blocks according to the problems’ difficulty:
- Problems of the first block (from 1st to 6th) are closer to examination tasks, they check knowledge and skills of participants in high school mathematics. These problems suppose just providing an answer without explanations. The problems are graded 7 points for correct answer and 0 points for incorrect one.
- Problems of the second block (7th and 8th) are out of scope of standard high school mathematics and use more technical approaches of advanced classes of mathematics. These problems are marked in a range from 0 to 13 points. Both answer and sketch of a proof (proof scheme) are needed here.
- Problems of the third block (9th and 10th) are close to national high school competitions in mathematics and to International mathematical olympiad* in their style, programme, and difficulty. Full solution with all intermediate steps should be given for these problems. The problems are marked in a range from 0 to 16 points.
Thus, problems number 7 to 10 suppose writing a partial or full solution. Online participants enter their solutions to a special web form on the competition platform using a standard keyboard.
Competition problems demand from participants not just knowledge but also creativity, reasoning skills, analysis of the computational results, skills of making conjectures and of verification of the conjectures.
10th, 11th Grades
Rules of Participation in the "Mathematics" Competition
The competition in "Mathematics" (180 min.) is held in online and on-site in accordance with the Schedule.
Rules of Participation in Online Competitions
Before the Competitions:
1. Sign in to your Personal Account and check date and time of participation (Moscow time) in the Competitions you have chosen (Date and Time of Participation in the menu).
2. To participate, you will need a PC or a laptop connected to the Internet and meeting the minimum technical requirements, and also a smartphone with a front camera. Minimum requirements and links for system and equipment testing are in the Instruction for Participants.
3. If you meet any problems during testing, please send a message to WhatsApp or Telegram (+7 909 628 44 25) with a screenshot and description of the error.
During the Competitions:
4. Make sure your laptop and smartphone are fully charged; they better are connected to the charger beforehand.
5. On chosen date and time (pt. 1) go to https://go.startexam.com/hsetest and sign in to the Testing Center with the email that you used for registration to HSE GSC 2022.
6. For authorization, take a photo of your face and upload your passport or ID copy (it must contain your photo and personal data)
7. Join the Competition and complete it.
Attention! Participants who are late to the beginning of the online Competition in the proctoring system (according to Schedule), but no more than 20 minutes, are still able to participate; Competition duration is not changing in this case.