The posted materials are materials for the 2018/2019 academic year. New materials for the International Youth Olympiad - 2020 will be available until the end of June, 2019.
- in English and in Russian – in the following subjects: Mathematics, Physics, Foreign Language, History, Modern Politics, Social Sciences, Psychology, Law, Philosophy, Asian Studies, Cultural Studies, Media Communications and Journalism;
The Olympiad competitions shall be held from October 23 to October 31, 2018 in two formats: on-site (requiring personal attendance) and online:
- in Russian only - in the following subjects: Philology, Design, Advertising and Public Relations.
If you wish to pursue a Russian-taught undergraduate programme at HSE and you do not speak Russian, you should first take a one-year preparatory course at HSE (HSE Preparatory Year for International Students).
2. Register online on the Olympiad website. The compulsory online registration shall be open from August 10 to October 14, 2018.
The registration number assigned to you during online registration shall be used to secure your participation in all competitions (in more than one subject), so please save it until the final Olympiad results are announced.
Attention! You will NOT be able to register on-site on the date of the Olympiad event, so please make sure to register online in advance!
3. Prepare for participation in the Olympiad competitions using our methodological materials for each subject, including Olympiad demo versions; the list of topics and their description, as well as recommended literature; links to webinars held by methodological committees in regards to the structure of assignments, as well as assessment criteria.
4. Come to the Olympiad venue in your nearest city on the day of the Olympiad, as per the Schedule which shall be published on our website no later than a week before the Olympiad starting date,
or alternatively take part in an Olympiad competition online, as per the relevant terms, conditions, rules and guidelines (these materials shall be published no later than 3 (three) weeks before the Olympiad starting date).
Rules for Taking Part in On-site Competitions (Requiring Personal Attendance)
2. The competition in "Mathematics" shall be held both in on-site and online formats. Please select one format only when you register for the Olympiad in this subject.
3. All participants must bring: their passport or another personal ID (with a photograph); a pen with black or blue ink (all Olympiad assignments should be completed with a pen); drinking water and chocolate (if you wish); a printed and completed cover page (with your registration number assigned to you during the online registration).
Cover page template (in English)
Attention! If you plan to take part in more than one Olympiad competition (in more than one subject), please make sure to bring one copy of the cover page to each Olympiad competition.
4. We strongly recommend that you arrive at the Olympiad venue at least 30 minutes before the start of the competition.
5. If you are late for the Olympiad, you will still be allowed to take part, but you will have no extra time to complete your assignments.
6. You will receive a special form to complete your Olympiad assignment at the venue.
7. During the competitions (about the on-site competitions in Physics and Mathematics below), you may not have on your desk any electronic devices (including pocket PCs, communicators, telephones, players and any other technical means), auxiliary materials (including your own paper for drafts), reference books, directories and other items, which participants are not allowed to use during the Olympiad. You may not communicate and exchange any objects with other participants or leave your seat without the permission of the organizing committee. You are not allowed to use these materials and devices either in the classroom or in any other room on the Olympiad venue throughout the Olympiad competition until the time when you are expected to finish your Olympiad assignments.
The on-site competition in Physics. You can use the following items during the competition: a pen, pencil, basic calculator (a separate device, not the one you have in your mobile phone or smartphone). Books, reference materials, mobile phones and smartphones are not allowed!The on-site competition in Mathematics. You can use the following items during the competition: a pen, pencil, ruler, and a bow compass. You cannot use calculators or any reference materials.
8. You may not leave the classroom during the on-site Olympiad competitions.
9. You can leave the classroom at the end of the on-site competition after you hand in the completed cover (registration) page and the completed Olympiad assignment form, as well as your draft notes (they will not be reviewed and will be destroyed), to the organizing committee.
10. In case of any violation of the Rules or if a participant refuses to follow the Rules, he/she shall be disqualified and shall not be able to appeal this decision. Disqualification will be fixed in a special statement, signed by at least two members of the organizing committee and personally acknowledged by the participant. In case of the participant’s refusal to sign the statement, a phrase “Refused to sign” will be added to the latter. All results obtained by this participant in a given subject shall be declared null.
1. Online competitions shall be held in the following subjects: Mathematics, Foreign Language, Journalism, Media Communications, Design (only in Russian), Advertising and Public Relations (only in Russian).
2. The competition in "Mathematics" shall be held both in on-site and online format. Please select one format only when you register for the Olympiad in this subject.
3. Rules and conditions of the online Olympiad competitions shall be published on the Olympiad’s official website.
4. Participation in the online competitions in Mathematics and Foreign Language shall be regulated by the conditions and rules published on the Olympiad official website no later than 3 (three) weeks before the Olympiad starting date.
5. Participation in the online competitions in Journalism, Media Communications (in Russian only), Advertising and Public Relations (in Russian only) shall be regulated by relevant Guidelines published on the Olympiad official website no later than 3 (three) weeks before the Olympiad starting date.
6. Olympiad competitions in Design (in Russian only) and Advertising and Public Relations (in Russian only) shall be held online as per the following Schedule:
- registered participants must submit their papers to HSE from October 23 to October 31, 2018, as per the Guidelines published on the Olympiad website;
- from November 1 to November 15, 2018, participants who have been selected for Round 2 shall be invited to take part in an interview.
7. During the online competitions, participants may not use electronic devices, auxiliary materials, reference books, directories and other items, which are not allowed during the Olympiad competitions, as well as communicate with any other persons.
We wish you every success at the Olympiad!