To succeed in the Journalism Competition, a participant is required to have general knowledge, but also be aware of the political, economic, social, and legal realities of the society. The participants will benefit from having the following applied skills — the ability to think critically, make their own creative projects and analyze the existing ones.
The Journalism Competition includes two stages.
The first stage is a written task that consists of three parts:
Task 1 — write a material, a news summary on one of the suggested topics, 4000 characters long with spaces, using online sources.
Task 2 — formulate questions for the information holder.
Task 3 — write your own explanation of a certain journalism term.
The first stage is completed in 240 minutes.
The second stage is an interview, where the expert commission members (jury) ask the Competition participant, that entered the second stage, questions on a wide range of current issues of political, social, cultural life in order to evaluate their general knowledge of culture, understanding of the professional side of the media, the ability to analyze, argument and defend their point of view in a conversation.
Undergraduate Programmes Accepting Applications
Online test (to be completed within 240 minutes)
The Competition event in Journalism shall be held online as per the following schedule:
I. Terms and conditions of participation in the online competition on January 26, 2021:
- The competition task and the Instruction will be posted on the subject page of the HSE Global Scholarship Competition website. It will be available on the day of the online competition, according to the start date and time (Moscow time) posted in the Schedule, five minutes before the competition starts.
- Upon carefully reading the competition task and Instruction, participants fill in their answers on the computer directly in the download MS Word file with the competition task posted on the HSE Global Scholarship Competition website.
- At the end of the online competition, according to the Schedule time (Moscow time), participants have to send an e-mail on the address provided in the Instruction firstname.lastname@example.org with the completed answers in MS Word file previously downloaded from the website.
- The Instruction will contain detailed requirements: the text format, what to write in the subject of the e-mail, how to sign your work, etc.
- The competition task is considered accepted for verification if the participant received a response letter from the Organizing Committee of the Competition "The participant's answers are accepted."
II. On February 18 and 19, 2021 participants who have been selected for Round 2 shall be invited to take part in an interview. (Information will be posted additionally.)